Code of Conduct
Seagarden strives to conduct business in a responsible manner, based on respect for human and labour rights, protect health, safety, and the environment, and in general, apply sound business practices.
Values and ethics are key priorities for Seagarden. We wish to conduct our business in a decent manner, with respect for human rights and concern for the social and environmental impact we have on society. Our code of conduct applies to all employees and board members in the group, regardless of geographical location or company association. It is therefore expected that everyone takes the time to understand its content and meaning, and that it forms the basis of each individual’s workday. Respect for people and the environment, compliance with the law and integrity is our common foundation for further development.
Seagarden wants to offer attractive and competitive products and services without compromising on quality, food safety, product requirements, working conditions and the environment. Seagarden is committed to conducting its business with honesty and integrity, and in compliance with the law. That is why we have the vision “Care to Grow”. These principles for responsible business conduct are based on UN and ILO conventions and provide minimum, not maximum standards.
Seagarden’s values and guiding principles
- Honest and natural – Sell only products we can be proud of
- In motion – Respect others and succeed together
- Care – Care for our customers, consumers, and the world we live in
Seagarden’s Business Ethics areas:
Forced and Child Labour
- There shall be no forced, bonded, or involuntary prison labour or slavery.
- Minimum age for workers should not be less than 16 years, and children under 18 shall not perform work that may be detrimental to their health, including night work.
Discrimination and harassment
- Seagarden has zero tolerance for discrimination. Any discrimination based on skin colour, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, ancestry, age, disability, pregnancy, or any other factor is prohibited.
- Every employee should strive to create a work environment where everyone is treated with dignity, respect, honesty, and sensitivity. It is forbidden to inflict any kind of degrading treatment on another person or to undermine their moral integrity.
- Threats, physical and mental abuse is prohibited.
- Sexual harassment in any form is strictly prohibited. The person responsible for such action will be held accountable.
- Disseminating personal data without authorization and their use for purposes other than those to which the data subject has given their consent are prohibited.
Occupational health and safety
- Safety, health, and environmental protection are a priority for the company and its employees.
- All workers have the opportunity to be affiliated to a trade union.
- Workers’ salaries to be in line with international industry standards.
- Working hours shall comply with national laws and benchmark industry standards, and not more than prevailing international standards. The average working week is 37,5 hours and should not on a regular basis be more than 48 hours.
- Workers shall always receive overtime pay for all hours worked over and above the normal working hours, minimum in accordance with relevant legislation.
- Permanent positions are not avoided through the use of short-term engagements or subcontractors.
Protecting the environment
- Seagarden acknowledges that the basis for our existence is access to raw materials from the ocean, and we therefore have a responsibility to contribute to proper and sustainable environmental management.
- Employees shall strive to minimise the environmental footprint from our operations through compliance with relevant local and internationally recognised environmental standards where this is appropriate, as well as minimise our environmental impact through the use of sustainable raw materials.
- Production and the use of natural resources shall not contribute to the destruction and/or degradation of the resources, such as in claiming large land areas, use of water or other natural resources on which these populations are dependent.
- Seagarden should focus on having a positive impact throughout the value chain. In line with the precautionary principle, measures shall be taken to continuously minimize greenhouse gas emissions and local pollution, the use of harmful chemicals, pesticides, and to ensure sustainable resource extraction and management of water, oceans, forest and land, and the conservation of biodiversity.
- All forms of environmental crime or unscrupulous exploitation of natural resources in the local environment are strictly forbidden.
- Seagarden does not request, initiate, pay for or plan in the future any test of Seagarden products on animals. We are committed to ensuring the safety of our products worldwide without animal testing and to ensuring and protecting animal welfare.
- For our supply chain, consistent with our own policy, our Business Code of Conduct informs our suppliers and customers that they must not conduct or ask third parties to conduct animal testing related to our products or ingredients.
Anti-bribery & Anti-corruption
- Any kind of bribery, corruption and fraud is unacceptable, including extortion, kickbacks and improper private or professional benefits to customers, agents, contractors, suppliers, or employees of any such party or government officials.
- Be avoidance of trading partners with activities in countries-imposed trade embargo by the UN and / or the Norwegian authorities.
Gifts and favors
- No employee is allowed to receive any personal favours or gifts from a third party in exchange of doing any particular favour to it.
- No employee is allowed to ask for gifts from a third party dealing with the company.
- Gifts as a gesture of respect of modest value can be accepted.
- Hospitality, such as social events, meals or entertainments may be offered if there is a legitimate business purpose involved, and the cost is kept within reasonable limits. Travel expenses for the individual representing Seagarden shall be paid for by Seagarden. Hospitality, expenses, or gifts shall not be offered or received in situations of contract bidding, negotiations, or award.
- Seagarden shall under no circumstance cause or be part of any breach of general or special competition regulations and laws, such as illegal cooperation on pricing or illegal market sharing.
Finance and record keeping
- Employees shall not compromise honesty and integrity by committing fraud.
- All revenue should be done in the predetermined time and limits. No one is allowed to modify the period of accounting of revenue in order to meet their goals.
- All the dates in the financial reports should be backed up by required legitimate documents.
- No transactions should be twisted and modified in order to display a different set of scenarios.
- No person should be allowed to defy the laws in order to evade from paying taxes and duties.
- Personal concerned should be accurate in laying out the company’s pecuniary details, however, honest mistakes or misprints could happen and will not be concerned as noncompliance or violation of code.
- Employees have a duty to protect the company’s goods, assets, ideas, intellectual property, and information and to keep them confidential.
- Company will consider asking for compensation from, and other reactions towards, the employees who will intentionally damage company assets and properties.
- No company assets can be used for a different purpose than what it is meant for. No personal benefits can be extracted by the employees from company’s assets.
- Theft or intentional replacement of company assets may result in termination or filling of lawsuit against the personnel involved.
- No one is allowed to get involved in personal activities during the hours meant for utilization towards company’s objectives.
- No one is allowed to use company’s assets like computers, mobiles, and other electronic devices to carrying out illegal business or getting involved in unethical actions like gambling or pornography.
- Our intellectual property is an invaluable asset that must be protected at all times.
- Intellectual property includes our trademarks, brands, package designs, logos, copyrights, inventions, patents, and trade secrets.
- You should never allow a third party to use our trademarks or other intellectual property without proper authorization and a license agreement that has been approved by CEO or the marketing department.
- Furthermore, our trademarks should never be used in a degrading, defamatory or otherwise offensive manner.
- Non-public company information should not, in any case, be disclosed to a third party.
- Company employees are prohibited from disclosing any sensitive company data or information even after their working hours, leaving the organizations or retirement.
- No company undisclosed information can be used for trading in stocks and markets.
Data and Information Technology
Information technology (IT) is vital to our day-to-day operations. Just as important are the measures ensuring data security. Violations of these security measures can have serious consequences: Theft of (personal) data, loss of data and copyright violations, to name a few. Our guidelines to help in avoiding such incidents:
- We use the company’s IT systems to complete our business-related tasks. We do not use them for personal purposes that are inappropriate or not permitted, nor for unethical or illegal activities. It is not permitted to use the equipment for gambling, pornography, racism, or other purposes that can be perceived as offensive.
- We pay attention to the content of emails and email attachments, downloaded files, and saved voicemails. We do not download any inappropriate material from the internet and handle passwords with care.
- We only install software on our computers for which we have the necessary license and approval from Corporate IT.
- We support the measures that our company has established for the security of its IT systems and the protection of data from internal or external abuse or threats.
Alcohol and drugs
- Seagarden is a drug free workplace. The health of all employees is just as important to us as workplace safety. We are therefore committed to a work environment free of drugs and alcohol.
- Under no circumstances may work safety or our ability to work be exposed or impaired by the consumption of alcohol or drugs.
- The possession or consumption of illegal drugs and substances of any kind in the workplace and during working hours is strictly prohibited.
We report every case of drug or alcohol abuse. Please see our management procedure “Varsling om kritikkverdige forhold på arbeidsplassen”.
Purchase and sale of sexual services
- Purchase of sexual services is exploitation of people in a difficult situation and is a breach of Seagarden’s code of conduct and the value of respect. This also applies when we are on business trips, other assignments at Seagarden’s expense and during the employee’s free time on such assignments.
Audits and investigations
During employment with Seagarden you may be asked to participate in an audit or internal investigation conducted by our internal auditors or external auditors. When this happens, you are always expected to cooperate fully and communicate honestly. You may also receive a request for documents or a request to meet with regulators or lawyers in connection with a legal proceeding or government investigation.
Our Management System
All employees in Seagarden shall take positive actions to respond to the requirements of this document and to incorporate the principles into its operations. Seagarden will periodically and systematically review how its own operations match the requirements of this document and maintain appropriate records to demonstrate compliance with the requirements of this document. This could also result in changes in this document.
Our goal is to contribute towards influencing the work on human rights, labour rights and environmental protection, both within our own Group and in relation to our business connections. Seagarden working with business associates such as suppliers, subcontractors, consultants, advisers, agents, or other business partners must inform these of the company’s Code of Conduct and ensure that they agree to comply with all relevant parts of the Code of Conduct. In the event of non conformances, action must be taken to ensure that such parties comply with the Code of Conduct. If it becomes evident that such parties are unable to comply with Seagarden’s Code of Conduct, cooperation with them shall be terminated.
Seagarden expects all business associates to comply with prevailing legislation, to respect internationally recognized human rights and to follow Seagardens own regulations and Code of Conduct, quality systems and routines. Should these differ from one another, the main rule is that the most stringent requirements apply.
More detailed guidelines for Seagardens relating to management of business associates are set out in relevant guidelines, such as purchasing procedures.
Reporting breaches towards this code of conduct
As an employee or business associates you have the right to notify about critical circumstances in the business.
- You are required to notify the employer or safety representative of harassment, bullying and discrimination at the workplace.
- You are required to report to the employer about conditions that may cause loss or damage to the employer, employees, or the environment.
- You are required to report to the employer about matters in which Seagarden employees are involved in corruption or other unethical business practices.